Race to Zero – why?
1.3bn out of 7bn are in first world countries, so this will only become worse.
- One world
- Staff Retention
- 52% of youngsters won’t take a job in an organisation who isn’t adopting sustainable policies.
- ESG Environment; Social; Governance.
- Helps branding.
- Helps the bottom line.
- Staff feel good about working for sustainable organisation.
- Trailblazer with a net zero strategy
Small changes can make a large impact
- VMI cut electricity usage in 2017 by 8%, 2018 by 4% and 2019 by 11%. 2020 was an outlier year due to COVID and our current provider does not read our smart meter (grr!) but will change our electric meter to a smart meter by October.
- Our electricity and gas contracts for London and Bristol are 100% green.
Incentive/Reward schemes for Sustainability
- Public Waste metrics to distribute and report this.
- Quarterly increase in recycling measurement can give us pizza Friday.
- Tea Bags – which are biodegradable.
- Open up new ideas to all staff at a companywide presentation. Competition to see who can have the best ideas for the maximum carbon reduction input.
- Green is good.
- Green board of ideas.
- Waste Reduction.
- Environment on meeting agenda.
- Pizza Friday for every great idea.
- Capture App?
- BBQ August. Carbon value per menu option.
- Short time horizons.
- Sustainability champion of the month!
- Donate a proportion of profit to local causes/charity?